Monday, February 28, 2011

Life is a special journey.

Carter is turning 5 months on Saturday.  What a life changing 5 months its been.  I am amazed at all the changes and growth that he has made in this short time.  The first smile and laugh where he actually recognized something making him happy was enough to melt my heart completely.  I think it's amazing to see this new life discovering the world.  I think it makes me rediscover the world through his eyes.  I see those simple things that bring great laughter and awe to him and have completely been inspired to re evaluate what life really is about. Those little moments are the moments that are so dear.  I love sitting back while he is playing on his mat and watching him grab his toes and be amused by them for the longest time.  Right after toes have lost their interest, luckily he rediscovers mommy's nose--how fun is mommy's nose!  :)  He is definitely into a learning/observing phase and it's so neat to watch him take in the world around him. He is a very smart boy already.   He purposely looks at toys or objects and grabs them.  You can see the wheels turning in his head as he observes them.  He has a mission for what he wants to do with them- whether it's put it in his mouth (which is what he wants to do with most things) or shake it around and around!  I look at him and can't believe he is as big and strong as he is already.  He stands (with minimal support from us-other than balance) but his strength is shocking.  He sits in his highchair and entertains himself, or smiles and talks while I sing (errr...screech) as we prepare dinner.  He loves to roll now.  I can't lay him on his back without him rolling.  :) 

Discovering colors and textures
I've recently been following a girls blog who a couple weeks ago lost her very healthy, happy 4 month old daughter completely unexpectedly. She was only a few weeks younger than Carter.  I've been heartbroken for her and have been lifting her in prayer very often.  I will say that though I've treasured every moment that I've spent with Carter, her story has done something to me and if it's possible, I feel like I soak those moments up even more.  It's an experience that I could not fathom.  But luckily, I have my sweet baby boy who I can look into his eyes and watch his whole face light up with a big, beautiful smile!  I can hold him in my arms and make his world ok!  I can tickle his neck and listen to his adorable laugh.  These are all things that I want to permanently imprint in my mind.  I never want to forget a moment with him.  I pray that she has those memories to bring her peace and joy when she looks back at her daughter's life.  I hope she knows that she and her daughter have touched the lives of so many- even those who do not know her.
Having Carter has changed me, and reading her story has changed me.  I love the exact moment I"m in. 

Those silly toes! :)
This stage of life is so amazing.  Not only is watching my son grow so touching.  But seeing my husband (my soul mate ) as a dad and husband  is truly undescribable too.  He is the most loving father.  We don't argue or get frusterated about not having help with Carter from the other, it's more like we argue over who gets to hold and play and comfort him. :)  I think that's a great problem to have.  He is so supportive.  He is consumed by our little guy.  Watching them has brought tears to my eyes before.  They love eachother so much. The amazing thing though, is I feel like he and I actually cherish eachother more and find ways to show it.  You would think having a new baby would leave little time for eachother (and it does, it has to be made) but Zach has made that time seem so easy and natural.  I said the little things are what life is about and what I focus on the most:  well, Zach is a "little things" kind of guy.  He got up and made me breakfast in bed because I wasn't feeling well, even though he had to be up early for work.  We have made a point to still have dates together.  Some are alone and some are taking Carter with us to sit out on a patio somewhere and chat.  This is something that I always want to keep as a priority.  I never want to lose the "us" in our journey.  And amazingly, I think we're stronger than ever.  We have an extension of us that we get to discuss and we learn more about eachother as we mill over parenting ideas and situations we are in and could find ourselves in.  Life is such an amazing journey.
Daddy with Carter on the Polar Express at Christmas time

1 comment:

  1. What a cutie! Hope you enjoy blogging! I love writing and reading the responses I get from family and friends.

    Congratulations on your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete