Friday, May 6, 2011

Mother's Day

Mother's Day this year has many meanings.  It's new for me in the "Mother" sense.  I get to stand proudly at church now when they ask all of the Mommies to stand.  I get to gaze down at the (not so) little bundle that has made me overjoyed and given me this honorable title of "Mommy".  I get to cry with happiness during the sweet video they show at church of Mommies and their babies (of all ages) loving on eachother and talk about the special relationship that "Mom" is. I get to have a special day that my boys have planned and prepared to honor the job I'm doing in raising our son- though definitely not alone.  It has been alongside my husband, who is the best Daddy in the world.  It has been with the help, direction, and influence of my Mom.  It has been with the shared conversations and ideas with my sister and my closest friends who are going through this stage of life too.  It has been with the love that all of those that surround us have provided.  We have the most loving, supporting family and friends.  I couldn't do the job of "Mom" without all of you embracing, guiding, encouraging me.  I'm in the Mom club this year.  And it is such a blessing that I am sure to count daily.  It has been in the top 2 events of my life (the other being marrying Zach). 

My parents in 1982 at their prom--Aren't they beautiful!!

My mom on my wedding day!  Thanks for being my biggest support!


Always helping me- in every way.

But, on Mother's Day the first thing that I think of is celebrating my Mom.  What a woman.  She has been so many things to me through these years.  She has first and foremost been a loving caretaker.  My mom has shown me how to love my own son.  I think of the unconditional love she showed me my whole life through.  And does just as strongly today.  It fills my heart and I work towards being that to Carter and will continue to work towards that with my future child(ren).  She stood by my side through very tough moments.  In 1st grade, that was accompanying me to my teacher to admit that I cheated on a test and use that as a loving yet teachable moment.  Her and my teacher showed me such grace.  It was a small, but important lesson to learn.  Now, I have the conscience the size of the universe.
 In 6th grade, that was tending to the heartache of a young girls breakup.  You know, the relationship that you think is going to be "The One".  I remember crying on the stairs to our basement with Mom there hugging me and saying all the right things.  That's a moment that only Mom can make better. 
In 7th grade, that was helping guide a tempermental pre-teen through saying goodbye to friends and moving to another state, decalring the whole way through how "It's not fair" "I'm not going" "This is the worst thing that could happen to me".  I give her so much credit for that one.  It's hard enough to help show a child the good in leaving all they know, their friends, their school.  It's harder doing that with a pre-teen who thinks the world should evolve around them.  It's hardest coming to a social environment and guiding to fit in to what the "norm" is there.  In my case, it was going from the biggest, baggiest jeans that was the trend in Colorado with huge Nike T-shirts, brown lined white out lips and curled big bangs to wearing "preppy" (in my then opinion) clothes that Arlington, Texas demanded.  The school I went to was dress code enforced which was the grace I needed.  The Colorado outfit described above was what I planned on wearing the first day of 8th grade. That's the simplest "what everyone wears" outfit.  HA! The first birthday party I was invited to, my Mom saved me by letting me dig through her closet (probably making not so nice comments the whole way through) and borrowing her "fitted jeans and shirt" as I was told by a classmate that they wore.  She helped me find me and define me.  She embraced the awkward pre teen and loved me.  She guided gently though and helped me be the best I could be in that stage.  And the next. And the next. 

Islamorada, Florida 2010

Always up for fun!

Supporting every stage of my life.

She loves her grandson. <3
One of my favorite memories with my mom was her coming to visit me in Europe when I lived there.  We had so much fun together.  She first met me in Amsterdam, on the tail end of Zach's trip visiting me.  That meant she got to meet the man I was crazy in love with.  That was so special to me.  Her acceptance matters a lot to me because she is a huge part of my life and always will be.  The wonderful thing about her though, is she will find the good in anyone.  Luckily, that was easy with Zach and she fell in love with him too! :)  After we played in Amsterdam, I took her to my hometown, Vlissingen where she met all of my silly friends.  We had a dinner party so that she could meet everyone and see what we do every night too.  We took her to some of our favorite spots in Vlissingen.  She is such an amazing person to bring around anyone because she is so social and friendly.  Everyone falls in love with her.

Getting ready for a dinner party at Michyl's flat
We went to visit Cologne, Germany and Vienna, Austria.  We had a blast together going through the Christmas markets- which we are both Christmas Crazed!, running to a train so we wouldn't be late, getting stuck in a train for hours because of a storm, going to operas, drinking literally hunderds of Starbucks together (sorry Dad), celebrating Thanksgiving together- thanks Mom for allowing me to not be alone on a fmaily holiday!, exploring new things.  She was the greatest travel partner.  We talked non stop and loved every moment together.  It was a trip stacked full of memories.  You'll have to look for my Austria-Germany post to read details.  :)

Drinking Gluhwein in Germany to get warm. 

Mom's holding "Christi"--we brought her with us!

Our Thanksgiving meal in Vienna, Austria

Enjoying a yummy beer in Amsterdam
Now, it's everything.  I turn to her with one million questions about parenting, life, relationships, daily events.  Everything.  We talk daily, often multiple times a day.  We do so much together!  She has been my best friend, but now at an age that we bond on a different level, she is really my best friend.  She is that person who stands by me through it all.  My silliness, my happiness, my sadness, my mistakes and my wins! 

Celebrating Christi's upcoming marriage

I have so many wonderful memories with my mom and truly believe that I am blessed with the best mom in the world!! 
These days, my mom and I, as a mom too, relate on another level.  The mommy level.  Life keeps bringing us closer and closer.  She loves my son so much and it makes my heart happy.  She supports my family with all the love and care she shows.  I feel like now that I am a Mom, I understand a bit more the depth of the love she has for me too - as her child.  And it does make me have even more love for her.  It's a funny thing, but all of a sudden, things are more clear and love has a different, deeper definition.


We love you!
One of my favorite things is having slumber parties with her.  We do that fairly often now.  Usually when Zach travels for work, since I am a scaredy cat, my mom will spend the night with me.  We have so much fun cooking dinner and chatting.  I am not a night owl these days but for some reason when Mom spends the night, we both find ourselves staying up later than normal.  We just get wrapped up in talking and enjoying eachother that it keeps us wide eyed.  And I love that.  It's such a blessing having a loving Mom, but even more, a Mom I relate to, connect with, and have a blast being around!  Did I mention I truly have become my mom?  :)  They say that happens....and I think...if I'm going to "become" someone, I am so glad it's her!  She is the greatest!
Mom, I don't know what I would do without you!  I love you with my whole heart and love you more and more all the time.  I actually got teary eyed writing this and thinking of everything you are to me and how much I love you! 
Happy Mother's Day to the Greatest Mom in the World! (and we sure have traveled it over- I haven't seen any greater! ;)

1 comment:

  1. What a great tribute to a perfect woman!! I love your Mom :0)I have for as long as your goofy Dad...hahaha. I love you too, Nicki and I know that you are a terrific Mommy to the most beautiful, adorable little lovey...Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete