Thursday, March 31, 2011

6 months ago, my angel was born!

I visited my friends and their new baby in the hospital the night she was born.  It really made me remember a mere 6 months ago when I was in that same position and think I want to have that recorded for my memories.  So, here goes.


A picture of our SON!

The road to a fully cooked kiddo!! :)
13 weeks

19 weeks



22 weeks


26 weeks


28 weeks


30 weeks


I had a great pregnancy with a healthy baby developing all the way through.  He was on track in all the right places and I was able to keep up with my high activity lifestyle.  Zach and I even climbed a mountain in Vancouver on our babymoon in July. 


Here's my healthy baby at 32 weeks!


Grouse Grind Challenge- climbed the mountain at 26 weeks preggo!
 I came back to school in August and worked until the middle of September when I was put on bedrest for high blood pressure. It was quite the shock when we were told of my high blood pressure originally.  Zach and I were sure to go to the gym about 4 times a week and I was determined to stay in shape so that my baby would have the ultimate health benefits, and  recovery and baby fat loss would be quick.  Luckily, the doctor said it had nothing to do with health, all to do with pregnancy.  So, at 36 weeks, September 27, I was put on bed rest.  I had  my appointment on a Monday morning, and intended to head in for my remaining half day.  The doctor said nope, I was not to go to work. 
I was checked into the hospital to be monitored overnight.  Through all of this, I was informed that I would be induced at 37 weeks, On October 5, to be sure that Carter was not in harm's way.  I had mixed feelings about this.  My number one goal was to have a healthy baby.  First and foremost.  But this news didn't sit well with a stubborn woman insisting on a natural birth.  The Pitocin itself is supposed to make labor pains more intense and an induction can lead to a much longer labor and delivery.  I know I'm stubborn and have a fairly high pain tolerance, but was afraid if I was induced, I would end up needing the epidural.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not against women using it, it's a great thing!  I'm just more scared of that needle and possible side effects that I would rather do it naturally (note though that I rarely even take medicine for anything, it's just not me).  In fact, sometimes I wonder if I'm crazy for wanting the au natural way.  :)
After our childbirth classes, they discussed many techniques on dealing with labor pains and I was excited to use them.  I was especially interested in taking a bath and using the medicine ball while having contractions.  Once I was put on bedrest and discussed my desires with my OB, she told me she would support me doing it without an epidural but that I would not be allowed to move at all because she needed to have me monitored at all times in case of baby's hearbeat dropping or complications with me.  I was really discouraged, scared that without coping methods, I would not make it.
We were scheduled to be checking into the hospital on October 5th at midnight to spend the night and start the induction.  Boy, did I pray hard that Carter would come on his own!  I had contractions for a few days, some getting painful enough that I would have to pause in what I was doing to catch my breath, but knew I wasn't in labor yet.  On Sunday, October 3, they began getting pretty strong.  Monday was constant through the day, and by the time Zach got home, I was really struggling to concentrate on what we were talking about, or anything else for that matter.  We didn't want to be the couple that thought we were in labor and sent home, so even when we timed them and realized they were just minutes apart, we chose to wait.  Well, at home I can use any coping methods I want! :)
 Finally, there were more times that I was hunched over than not, so we called the doctor and told him the contractions were 1 minute apart and he said get here now.  We went into triage (GREAT!  They're going to send us home) and as soon as I was checked, the nurse asked me..."How far do you think you are dilated?"  I responded, "2 cm...?"  She laughed and said "Nope, 5 cm, we're checking you in now!"
We were so excited!  Carter was coming on his own, I didn't need to be induced!  Already, a son who listens to his mommy! 
The women in my family have been known to have very quick labors, I'm talking about 3 hours or less, so I expected the same.  HA!  NOT QUITE!  We checked in at midnight dilated to a 5, meaning I did a lot at home on my own.  I began pushing at 7 am.  I wouldn't say I was blessed with the quick-labor-gene.  Zach was the best coach for me though and made it easier to endure!  He was wonderful.  The contractions were intense, I mean, not like anything I've experienced before.  He was wonderful about suggesting different things or trying to rub my back...and patient when none of it was working and I laid there silently in the most horrendous pain. He was so suuportive though and loving.  I knew he was exhausted too, but he never showed it.  He continuously was helping me, telling me how great I was doing.  I couldn't have done it without him.
 Luckily for us, in one sense, my doctor wasn't the one on call that night (bummer cause I wanted her...but...) so I had another doctor who asked me if I wanted a room with a bath tub, did I want a medicine ball...etc? I asked if that was ok for me with my blood pressure and he said yes as long as I monitored it in between!!  Thank you Lord for watching over us! :)  I took full advantage of all of it!
And some of it helped, and some didn't at all.  But it was nice knowing I could do what I wanted.
So, are you wondering if I made it the whole way without the epidural.....yep!  Happily.....nope!  I asked Zach to get them to give it to me- but I outsmarted myself.  Before going into this, I figured there would be a moment of intense pain that I would do this...I also knew how much I wanted to do it on my own, so we came up with a code word.  When I'd ask for it, he'd say, Do you want the vacation?  And I'd be strong enough to say...no (defeated).  I knew I didn't want it.
 So time to push at 7 am!  After being told it would probably be a couple hours of pushing, which shocked and scared me- I didn't think I could handle a couple HOURS! , I turned to the nurse and said, truly can you give me a target time that you think it would be possible to have him by.  She said I think in about an hour. 
Boy did I focus on that clock!  8:00 was my goal!!  I pushed and guess what, Carter arrived at 8:06!  I probably drove the doctors crazy asking what time it was every few minutes, seconds?  But it's what I needed to do to help me get through it.  I was 6 minutes off but sure felt good about that!! 
WOW!  Our beautiful baby boy is here!!  Zach was brave and cut the cord and then got to accompany them to weigh and measure and all that fun.  Carter was 7 lbs 1 oz 20 1/4 inches long.  A perfectly healthy baby!! 
They gave him to me and that's when my life was enhanced forever more!!  We had our complete family now!  And it's funny...I now can't quite remember the pain.  The reward just made it all worth it!!!  What a blessing.






Now, it's hard to believe that my baby was that little.  He's come so far.  He's so healthy and strong!  I am looking forward to the upcoming 6 months with this angel baby too. 



1 comment:

  1. AH! I LOVED this post! So sweet to remember all the details, and especially to be able to have it all down in your blog. I am still, always, so happy for you and your sweet healthy family:)

    ReplyDelete